Top 3 Android File Encryption Apps
Data encryption is one of the first lines of defense that data and information owners have against unauthorized data access and theft – if you store sensitive data on your Android smartphone or SD card ensure that you have good encryption software installed. Here are some great apps for protecting sensitive and personal files you store on your mobile.
This is a solution you can use to easily manage your files and folders, including those on the SD card. The app supports legacy 2.0 and AES (128, 192 and 256 bit) encryption (both pack and unpack) for Zip files such as WinZIP and WinRAR. The app has a fast browser and professional looking interface. Other features include the ability to:
- Cut, copy, move, paste, delete multiple items using the integrated explorer
- Unhide (or hide) hidden media on the phone smartphone or SD Card
- Encrypt, password protect, compress, uncompress or extract Zip, Gzip and TAR files
ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer for Android is a free, feature-rich all-in-one file and application manager; task killer; Dropbox client and ftp client. With more than 10 million users and a near perfect rating, the app is one of the best Android apps for encrypting files. In addition to the above mentioned, the app can also:
- Compress and Decompress ZIP files, Unpack RAR files
- Create encrypted (AES 256 bit) ZIP files
- View different photos, docs and videos file formats
- Supports third party applications such as Document To Go (to open document files)
- Text viewers and editors
- Supports thumbnails for APK, images, and has an inbuilt image browser
- Access your Home PC, via Wi-Fi with SMB
- Use the FTP client to manage files on FTP servers as well as those on the SD card
- An enhanced Dropbox client
- Bluetooth file transfer tool
- Advance task killer
- Root explorer feature; the ultimate file manager for rooted Androids.
This is another file manager that supports encryption for a wide number of archiving formats. While this is a good and wildly popular app, it is not our favorite Android encryption app because you will have to purchase the pro version to get encryption support. Still, it is a good way to manage installed applications and even share files over WiFi.