DaTuner – A Superb Android Instrument Tuner
No amount of skill can create great music or sound from an instrument that is not tuned properly.
If you have a good ear for music, and you know your notes, it may be possible to tune your guitar, piano, violin and others from ear, but using a digital tuner makes it possible for even a novice to adjust an instrument for better sound; DaTuner is one such instrument tuner and it’s available in free and Pro versions.
DaTuner is a precise and responsive chromatic tuner app for Android that has a pretty simple interface.
Converting the fundamental frequency to the nearest note and error in cents for quick and easy tuning of your guitar, piano, ukelele, harp, violin, bass, cello, mandolin, saxophone, Ducati timing belt, harmonica, kazoo, among others, and it works in noisy environments as well.
Tuning in a Noisy Environment
DaTuner has a screen and filter lock that allows you to select the note you would like to tune to. The filter will then ignore anything that is outside the range you are tuning for which makes it possible for you to tune an instrument in a noisy environment such as a band practice.
Even if the instrument is extremely out of tune, set the note you want to tune to and make adjustments until the correct note is reached; the app will display the change it is detecting and change the screen to green once the instrument is properly tuned.
No Dead Zones
There are no dead zones. Once the incoming note is within range of the note you are tuning for, DaTuner will detect and display the note that was heard, while it also shows the changes in pitch it detects as you make changes.
You can configure, to your liking, both the in-tune range and the colors that are used to display them if you like. Here is a video of the app in use:
Pro vs Lite Versions
Beyond the features we mentioned above the lite version of this Android instrument tuner has the following features:
- Auto-Sensitivity means no configuration is required
- Tuning is accurate and precise within these levels < 0.3 cents @ E3 (329.62Hz), <0.1 cents @ C5(1046.5Hz), < 1 cent @ A2 (110Hz)
- Reference frequency adjustment for orchestra tuning
- Choice of colors for sharp/flat
In addition to features in the Lite version, the Pro Version adds these features:
- Sample rate range 8kHz – 48kHz
- Temperaments. You can modify the ones that exist or add your own using a text editor. The temperaments are saved on your external memory under the /DaTuner directory
- Notation (i.e, Solfége, English, English sharp, English flat, Northern European.)
- Emulated strobe tuner display
- Displays a digital readout of error in cents
- Pitch pipe (triangle, sine, sawtooth, square)
- Has a no-touch pitch pipe auto mode
- Accelerated tuning algorithm
Install DaTuner Lite
Install DaTuner Pro
- Songify -- An Auto-tune app for Android
- Roundup of the Best Android Comic Readers
- Winamp for Android Review and Download Link