Most bible apps have support for multiple versions not least among which is the KJV and Messages. But if your preference is the NIV, here is a roundup of some of the best New International Version bible apps for Android phones and tablets.
LiveBible – Free
This is an easy to use bible reader that supports both offline and online reading. To ensure that you have offline access to the bibles you will need to store them to the SD card. Features we like the best include red lettering for the words of Jesus, Audio bibles and the ability to follow a RSS feed from your favorite website (i.e. your local church).
At the time this review was written red lettering was only supported in the following versions: New American Standard Bible, New International Version, New International Version 1984, English Standard Version, New Living Translation. However, the app supports a large list of bible translations including:
- English (AMP,ASV,ESV,KJV,NASB,NIV,NIV1984,NKJV,DARBY)
- French (BDS-IBS,LSG,NBS,PDV)
- Spanish (LBLA,NVI,RVA,RVR1960,RVR199).
Other supported bible languages include: Portuguese, Italian, Chinese, Creole, Russian,Ukrainian, Hungarian, Albanian and Netherlands. QR code
Tecarta NIV Bible
Want to compare translations to get a better understanding of what a particular verse or chapter is saying? This is an easy to use Android bible app that will help you do so. You can use the parallel version view to compare, a KJV text with the NIV version of the same text. If you just want to lie in bed and have the bible read to you the Tecarta NIV Bible has audio bible support for the King James, NLT and NASB bibles.
Some of the features we think you will like include the ability to add a note to a verse, which is quite useful for doing a bible study. You can then organize your notes in folders for future reference, i.e. a folder for “What day is the Sabbath” or “State of the Dead.” You can also attach a margin note to a particular verse and accessing it later by pressing and holding the note icon beside the verse. Here is what you get if you purchase this app:
- An offline Bible for use when there is no Internet
- Full-text search to quickly find words and study topics
- Easily and quickly Copy and paste multiple verses
- Predictive text entry for quick navigation
- Night mode for low light reading
- Highlighting to emphasize verses or passages
- Ability to add margin notes
- Passage bookmarking for future reference
- Powerful folder system for organizing notes and bookmarks
- Reading history
- Portrait and landscape mode
- Easily change font sizes
- Easily share verses and notes with friends and family via email, Facebook, text messages, etc.
- Split-screen capability allow users to view multiple translations and study notes at the same time
- More affordable translations, study notes and reference tools are being added regularly
- A talking Bible that reads to you using Text-to-Speech.
The word is more effective when it is written on the heart — “ Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee,” says the scriptures. Versed is a bible game with over 180 verses for you to memorize. Our favorite of the 4 game play modes is the fill-in-the-blanks option that asks you to complete a verse using some given words.
The app supports the following translations:
- NIV (New International Version)
- ESV (English Standard Version)
- NASB (New American Standard Bible)
- KJV (King James Version)
- NLT (New Living Translation)